Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Access + Ability: the Disabled Community in San Diego

Here is the first blog that I wrote for this project, which tells you more about me and why I decided to write on disability.

Originally written for the San Diego City Times blog

In this blog, I intend to explore issues and topics important to the disabled community living in San Diego. These range from things as serious in nature as equal educational opportunities or concerns over disability benefits. In addition, the posts here will at times explore the impact of California’s budgetary constraints on disabled people in their daily lives.

While part of this blog will be devoted to finding ways to improve existing disabled services locally, such as the San Diego Trolley and In Home Supportive Services, the writing will also cover recreational activities available in San Diego, such as wheelchair basketball, soccer and rugby and how those interested can become involved.

My name is Chris Carr, and I am a 23-year-old recent graduate of UC Berkeley. During my five years in the Bay Area, I was exposed to a part of the country that is at the forefront of increasing disabled rights and services. As a person with Cerebral Palsy, after moving back to San Diego in May, I was made quite aware of the stark juxtaposition between what the Bay Area and San Diego offer to those with disabilities.

I enter this project with an understanding that there are most likely reasons (budgetary, logistical or otherwise) why San Diego might have trouble implementing certain programs or making changes to its transportation system, and I will be working to uncover those limitations and helping to figure out how to overcome them.

I would like to make this blog as interactive as possible. With that goal in mind, if you have any topics you want to see covered, please email me at: christophercarr.22@gmail.com or leave a comment below

No comments:

Post a Comment